Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
What is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a condition that can cause tingling, burning, itching, weakness and pain in the wrist and hand. The cause is from a nerve called the median nerve being compressed or pinched in the carpal tunnel at the wrist. The median nerve runs from the forearm in to the hand and controls the sensation of the thumb and fingers.
What causes Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
It is believed that there are multiple factors that can cause carpal tunnel such as:
- Repetitive motion
- Fractures, breaks, or trauma to the wrist
- Fluid retention (in pregnant and menopausal women)
Symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
- Numbness in palm of hand and fingers
- Burning, tingling, itching in palm of hand and fingers
- Decreased strength in hand
- Loss of hot and cold awareness
Treatment of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
- Resting affected hand
- Reduce swelling
- Avoiding activities that could aggravate affected hand
- Drugs for pain and swelling
Reducing your Risk
- Stretch reduce repetitive motion
- Maintaining correct posture and wrist positioning
- Giving your hand a break
We, at you Golden, CO dentist encourage health awareness in our community.