Pregnancy and oral health
Pregnancy is a fun and exciting time for the soon to be mothers but, with pregnancy comes potential oral health conditions that can affect the mother and the baby. Poor oral health can increase the chances of pre-term deliveries, low birth weight babies and preeclampsia.
In order to help prevent these conditions the expecting mother should do the following:
- If planning a pregnancy see your local dentist before becoming pregnant
- If already pregnant dental care should be done in the first trimester or as soon as possible
- Good oral home care including, flossing once a day and brushing at least twice a day
- Proper nutrition (avoiding foods with sugars)
- Eating foods high in calcium and vitamin C
Because of the hormonal changes that happen while being pregnant the chances of developing gum disease, gingivitis, and cavities increase greatly.
Expecting mothers, make note that even if you follow all of the recommendations you can still develop problems within the mouth, so be sure to watch for symptoms such as:
- Swollen gums
- Pain in gums
If you start to experience any symptoms above during your pregnancy be sure to visit your Golden, CO Dentist.
Here at Genesee Dental we thrive to educate the community to help prevent problems in the mouth. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to call our office at (303)526-9155.
Let us help you have a great and healthy pregnancy!